Center for Environment, Climate Change and Sustainable Development (CECCSD)
About the Center
Center for Environment, Climate Change and Sustainable Development (CECCSD) at IMPRI is built on the underlying belief that human beings exist because there is a harmony with the natural ecosystem. The latter responds patiently to human activities and the moment they trespass their limitations, it ‘reacts’: thereby instructing the humans to respect the environment and its resources- the flora, fauna, air and marine. It is therefore indispensable to understand and address the interlinked challenges to the environment and the need for its sustainability for comprehensive human, societal, national and global development. The work at CECCSD pivots around multidisciplinary research on the environment for sustainable development. It seeks to harness the food-water-energy nexus in environmental research for the well-being of the people at the grassroots and socio-economic development.
It does so by strengthening the knowledge and scholarship in theoretical and practical insights in the quest for equitable and sustainable solutions to far-reaching impacts of environmental changes. The overall aim is to improve societal knowledge and capacity through climate change and environmental issues; renewable energy; soil, agriculture, food and water security; bio-diversity and international environmental institutions and agreements.
CECCSD’s mandate includes:
- Promotion of local, national and global partnerships to take effective action for environment, climate and sustainability.
- Assessments of the impacts of environmental and climatic variability on livelihoods, well-being and economic development.
- Enhancing scientific knowledge on climatic change for appropriate climate action and advocacy.
- Developing a repository of information to inform evidence-based and action-based policymaking.
- Organizing discussions, webinars, conferences and public engagements for understanding the most pressing issues and exploring the areas of interventions with local, national and global stakeholders, including academic experts, civil society participants, environmentalists, policymakers, practitioners and multilateral agencies.
The State of the Environment – #PlanetTalks
#IMPRI CECCSD is carrying out a #WebPolicyTalk series called The State of the Environment – #PlanetTalks to engage with experts on the environment, who would share their insights on the challenges and way forward in moving towards a sustainable planet.
Read our publications on Environment, Energy, Climate Change and Sustainable Development; Agriculture, Food, Nutrition Security and Rural Development; Governance and Law; Science and Technology; Social Sector; and, Urbanization, Habitat, Transportation and Regional Development